“Why should I hire a web firm instead of building my own website for free?”This is a perfectly legitimate question and one that we commonly have to answer when in talks with different businesses and organizations.
- Web firms should* be an expert in the field.
- Web firms should* be professionals at their trade.
- Web firms should* provide the necessary systems required for long-term success.
- Web firms should* leverage the collective resources of their team.
Experts:Being an expert in the field means having experience and knowledge from past learning. Web firms should have experts in the field of web design & development in addition to branding and digital marketing. Many of these companies have spent years gaining the knowledge and experience necessary to efficiently build a successful website for many different types of businesses and individuals. Some have even focused on one market becoming intimately familiar with the quirks of that industry.Because of the time & years they have spent studying and working in this field, web firms already know what others would have to learn before being able to build a website, not to mention a successful website. Furthermore, to build a successful website, a person needs a certain level of expertise in design & development and needs to know what the current standards are for how websites look and work (as the internet is an ever-changing environment). The knowledge of current standards is critical for constructing a site that people can intuitively explore. Beyond this anyone building a website should have a basic understanding of the following:
- Graphic Design principles
- Branding & Identity Design
- HTML & CSS for custom styling
- Information Architecture best practices
- Consumer Behavior
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Web Analytics & Data